Vellai Paniyaram is a traditional and classic recipe prepared at every Chettinad home especially for breakfast during special occasions and functions.
Raw rice – 1 cup
Urad dal – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Sugar – 1/2 tsp ( or to taste)
Milk ( cow’s milk) – 1/2 cup or as required
Oil – to shallow fry paniyaram
1. Soak rice and dal in water for at least 2 to 3 hours.
2. Grind rice and dal together in a mixer grinder until smooth like idli-dosa batter.
3. Add salt and sugar to taste to the batter, mix well and set aside batter for at least 1 hour.
4. Heat oil in a flat bottomed pan to shallow fry at highest temperature.
5. Meanwhile add required milk to the paniyaram batter, mix well and make the consistency of the paniyam batter to be thin and loose than dosa batter.
6. Take paniyaram batter in a slightly flat ladle, pour it in the centre of oil ( as shown in picture) and immediately reduce pan heat from highest to lowest.
7. Wait until flower like pattern forms on the sides of paniyaram and paniyaram starts to float on the oil( see picture).
8. Carefully flip the paniyaram to the other side and cook for few more minutes( see picture).
9. Drain paniyaram from oil and place on a paper towel.
10. Again increase pan heat to highest temperature and repeat steps from 6 to 9 with rest of paniyaram batter.